This part should take approximately 20 minutes.
Read by Leader
First, thank you for joining us today.
Our goal is to strengthen our relationship with God by coming together to simply pray. Our prayer time consist of:
- Reading Scripture (God speaking to us),
- Saying back to God requests from scripture and directives from scripture,
- Worship of God by singing and saying formal prayers
This material and your Bible are everything you’ll need in this Session. In future sessions note on first page any additional items.
We are all going to participate together. The LEADER will initiate, and you the MEMBER, will respond.
Let’s take 3 minutes to go around and each person will read one of the 8 rules. This will keep the session on track. But first, who will volunteer to read the “Notes”? The Notes are not directives or prayers, they’re just statements that need to be said. Your job is interject when it shows up and read it. Thanks.
Read by Volunteer
Rules and Notes to Keep the Prayer Session on Track
“You can’t learn to fly by reading books – you must fly with a little help from an instructor. You can’t learn to pray by reading books on prayer, you must pray with a little help from the Word, the Spirit and humans.” - Paul Pent
Please assist the leader to help everyone be governed by these rules. The rules, when followed, will greatly help the prayer session avoiding degenerating into a Bible study, a discussion, a counseling session, focusing on problems or issues instead of God’s Kingdom and Righteousness. (If you want a Bible study, etc., schedule one.)
The two Bible rules while praying:
- Pray with thanksgiving and
- Ask in faith without wavering.
Common Sense Rules (please consider following them for the first year)
- The box that starts with “Leader” is for the leader to initiate a new prayer subject.
- The bullet point “ * ” is the prayer item itself that everyone participates in.
- Instead of telling everyone a thanksgiving of what God did for you, describe it to God and we will give thanks with you.
- Instead of telling everyone your prayer request, just tell it to God and we will pray with you.
- While reading Scripture, if someone asks a question, the leader should say, “That’s a good question. We will discuss it after this prayer session.”
- This is not a Bible study. The reading of the Bible during the prayer session is to hear from God and increase our faith to pray.
- Say one prayer at a time. Pause, then continue if no one else says a prayer.
- Be charitable! It will all workout in the end.
You’ll notice how the sessions are planned to make sure the priority in prayer subjects is least interesting personally and most interesting to God and His Kingdom.
“Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be added to you.” (Matthew 6:33)
Read by Leader
“Let us pray together the prayer that Jesus commanded us to pray in Luke 11:1-4. All together now.”
(And He said unto them, When ye pray, say,)
"Our Father which art in Heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come thy will be done, as in Heaven, so in earth. Give us day by day our daily bread. And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from the Evil One."